September 23, 2016, a ‘one-stop shop’ family support centre opened its doors as the Central Okanagan Family Hub. Twenty-three members representing community agencies, child, and family development, education and healthcare, worked in collaboration to deliver an integrated community service delivery model that connects families to community services that promote healthy development and fosters resiliency through life-long learning.
The United Way of the Central and South Okanagan/Similkameen and the BC Provincial Office of The Early Years provided the initial core funding for this project. Through a partnership with Central Okanagan Public School, space was provided at Pearson Elementary to host the Hub.
Terms of Reference
Families are resilient, healthy and well connected within our community.
The Family Hub is a collaborative network that supports, informs and connects all families to the community.
- Create a family-centred respectful environment that reflects a culture of caring
- Provide a single point of access through supports information and referrals
- Build capacity to access programs and services through information and linking to services
- Increase connections and sense of belonging for all families
- Ensure Aboriginal cultural safety
- Collaborate with the community – integrated service delivery model
- Continue to respond to community need
- Steered by a leadership committee comprised of sector representatives
- Our approach is holistic, inclusive and culturally sensitive